Lesson 1 - Introduction to Privacy
- Discusses the modern history of privacy, an introduction to personal information, an overview of data protection roles and a summary of modern privacy frameworks.
Lesson 2 - Structure of U.S. Law
- Reviews the structure and sources of U.S. law and relevant terms, and introduces governmental bodies that have privacy and information security authority.
Lesson 3 - General Data Protection Regulation Overview
- Presents a high-level overview of the GDPR, discuss the significance of the GDPR to U.S. organizations, and summarizes the roles and responsibilities outlined in the law.
Lesson 4 - Enforcement of U.S. Privacy and Security Laws
- Distinguishes between criminal and civil liability, presents theories of legal liability and describes the enforcement powers and responsibilities of government bodies, such as the FTC and state attorneys general.
Lesson 5 - Information Management from a U.S. Perspective
- Explores the development of a privacy program and the role of privacy professionals, discusses vendor management and examines data collection, classification and retention.
Lesson 6 - Federal Versus State Authority
- Compares federal and state authority and discusses preemption.
Lesson 7 - Healthcare
- Describes privacy laws in healthcare, including the major components of HIPAA and the development of HITECH, and outlines privacy protections mandated by other significant healthcare laws.
Lesson 8 - Financial Privacy
- Outlines the goals of financial privacy laws, highlights key concepts of FCRA, FACTA and GLBA, and discusses the Red Flags Rule, Dodd-Frank and consumer protection laws.
Lesson 9 - Education
- Outlines the privacy rights and protections under FERPA, as well as recent amendments provided by PPRA and NCLBA.
Lesson 10 - Telecommunications and Marketing
- Explores rules and regulations of telecommunications entities, reviews laws that govern marketing, and briefly discusses how privacy is addressed in the digital advertising realm.
Lesson 11 - Law Enforcement and Privacy
- Summarizes privacy laws on intercepting communication, including how the telecommunications industry must cooperate with law enforcement, and outlines laws that assure rights to financial privacy.
Lesson 12 - National Security and Privacy
- Further explores rules and regulations on intercepting communication, including how the laws have evolved and how government agencies and private companies work collaboratively to improve cyber-security.
Lesson 13 - Civil Litigation and Privacy
- Discusses privacy issues related to litigation including electronic discovery, redaction and protective orders, and briefly compares U.S. discovery rules to foreign laws.
Lesson 14 - Legal Overview of Workplace Privacy
- Describes federal and state laws that regulate and protect employee privacy, as well as federal laws that prohibit discrimination.
Lesson 15 - Privacy Before, During and After Employment
- Examines the lifecycle of employee privacy including background screening, employee monitoring, investigating misconduct and termination; outlines anti-discrimination laws; and discusses “bring your own device” policies.
Lesson 16 - State Data Security Laws
- Identifies state laws that impact data security, reviews Social Security number use regulation and discusses laws governing data destruction.
Lesson 17 - Data Breach Notification Laws
- Summarizes the scope of state data breach notification law, highlights the nine elements of state data breach notification laws and notes major differences in state laws.